Kick off meeting of the European SmartEnCity project

In Europa Conference Centre of Vitoria-Gasteiz the kick off metting of the European SmartEnCity project will take place, a European project in which Estudios GIS participates.

Proyecto SmartEnCity

The SmartEnCity project is an ambitious initiative, framed within the European program of “Smart Cities and Communities”, in which Vitoria-Gasteiz aspires to be a “lighthouse city” where a range of solutions are applied around energy efficiency, transport and ICTs in an integrated way, and with the aim of improving people’s quality of life.

In addition to Vitoria-Gasteiz, the cities of Tartu (Estonia) and Sonderborg (Denmark) are part of the proposal to develop actions with similar objectives, adapting to the characteristics of the city. Also the cities of Lecce (Italy) and Asenovgrad (Bulgaria) are part of the project, which will explore the adaptability and replication of the lighthouse cities projects, and thus maximize the impact of the project.

The coordinated actions in the three cities will be aimed at:

  • Reduce the energy demand of the existing residential real estate stock through rehabilitation actions at the district level.
  • Increase the supply of energy from renewable energies taking advantage of local resources.
  • Promote the use of clean energy in urban mobility, through an extensive deployment of green vehicles and infrastructure.

Likewise, a wide use of ICTs is foreseen to achieve integration and coherence in the planning and implementation of projects, as well as to strengthen citizen participation and ensure that people are the last beneficiaries of the actions carried out.

The project starts on February 1, 2016 and has an expected duration of five and a half years.

Actions in the neighborhood of Coronación

In the case of Vitoria-Gasteiz, the deployment of the proposed measures in the area of ​​pilot action of the Coronación neighborhood, belonging to the central superblock of the mobility plan and in coherence with this, are among other: pedestrianization, electrification of vehicles, promoting the use of bikes through the opening of “bicilonjas”, saving systems in city buses…

On the other hand, the transition to a neighborhood with low energy consumption is being sought through rehabilitation actions in at least 750 homes, which will reduce the demand for heating by half. The deployment of a heating network for the neighborhood, based on local renewable energy sources, will cover thermal demands, minimizing dependence on fossil fuels and respecting the environment.

The implementation of a platform for monitoring and management of energy consumption, together with workshops and other actions, will allow neighbors their access to information and their involvement in management and decision-making. The objective is optimizing the action proposed in the area of ​​the Coronación, so that it can be a replicable example in the rest of the city.

In summary, the Coronation plan is divided into three axes: rehabilitation to achieve energy efficiency, sustainable urban mobility and information technologies (ICTs).

SmartEnCity budget and grant

The SmartEnCity project has a total budget, including  the three cities, of € 75,565,000, with the total grant from the European Commission being € 27,890,136.

Of the total grant, the Basque members will receive € 10,885,258, which is broken down into the actions in Coronación with an amount of 70% and the other 30% for management, research, coordination, dissemination, monitoring, etc. both the local and European level.

Do you want more information?

I have read and accept the legal advice of Estudios GIS